Saturday, June 11, 2011

Waking Dreams

These dreams woke up at last and now they can never seem to rest again
They toss and they mumble fitfully, throughout my long and mindless working hours
I see them fumbling in their pockets for loose change in long gray lines
The alien light of our world creating the strange discolorations of their faces

You get used to not looking right at them or else they will quickly fade away
Their faulty assumptions collapsing beneath the fairy tale castles of their logic
These dreams awaken, stubbled and grimy, having voluntarily left their kingdom
They fill me briefly with their uneasiness as they are passing right on through me

They walk the land alone dissolving soundlessly without leaving any footprints
I watch them fade like old prayer flags just after they emerge fully-formed, upon my way
They leave no trace except the faint and dissolving memories of their passing
Some are so sublime as to be nearly undetectable by the busy conscious mind

Sometimes I pray to mistake gruesome reality for their phantasmal influences
Given off as I walk, they disperse in an illogical ever-thinning aerosol
Waking dreams, trying to tell me how much I need some simple restful sleep
Their seamless reality at least as attractive as our collective conscious hypnosis

There must be more to them than what so simply just fades from my grasp
Experienced as reality, dismissed as foolishness, yet somehow deeply symbolic
Tossed into pens and forced to struggle against each other for supremacy
They woke me up again in uncertainty merely with their deep and utter nonsense

These awaking dreams have not yet reached a full consciousness, nonetheless
These cast out and wandering souls sometimes awaken me in rich tears
We do not speak to each other but I wonder if they observe me as I do them
Sometimes when I come to, I’m laughing, with echoes of their beautiful music still in my mind

Often do I wish to experience their version of reality as more than a mere spectator
Waking dreams, trying to shake and rouse themselves from the depths of the everyday
Began to cry as one of them impinged upon the terrible vacuum of my empty life
Just had to reply as they masqueraded as those I had known and loved so long ago

Their parallel universe inextricably bound to our collective stream of unconsciousness
I could not elude them or escape them, for they awoke with me, as I fled before them
I might still be thinking, even as I talk to them, over their music, all in living color
Happily, as I grow older it becomes less clear when they have overtaken me once again

No comments:

Post a Comment