Sunday, June 5, 2011

They Could Not Hear It

They could not hear the music which always flowed so smoothly from inside my head
I still could not understand them even when they stooped and shouted right in my ear
They did not feel the sad melodies with which I themed all of their activities

I understood every word they said but in the end I could not grasp their true message
Their motions became quite graceful when put to the rhythms that only I could hear
I shuffled about to those crazy tunes to which they never even knew that I was listening

Since they could not hear it, they determined there must be something wrong with me
But I politely rebuffed their earnest efforts at helping me along my way
My internal occupations made me seem quite inattentive and forgetful to them

I always wandered off course immediately without the strictest guidance
But they could stand me in a corner and I might remain still for hours on end
And how often I was startled by their gentle tapping upon my shoulder

So many times I would finally notice someone had been calling my name
I would smile in red-faced amazement and then simply shrug
Staring straight forward I never even saw the back of her embarrassed head

I waltzed alone to an orchestra that helped me soar and made them chuckle
I thought I sang harmoniously with my music but, to them, it just sounded very much off-key
There was no way I could share with them all of the beauty that I witnessed inside

They laughed and shook their heads as I swayed alone to those inner melodies
I had to turn it up so loud that I was deafened to many important commercial messages
They could not hear and I would not listen and so did my years dance right on by

No comments:

Post a Comment