Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Quest For Inner Peace V2.0

I simply could not just ignore my body odor in the search for inner peace
Got flipped off while talking to Sally on my cell driving to my yoga class
Well, actually I go a couple times a week and it’s only $35 a month
I think I really noticed something after only a couple of classes

The other day I almost touched my toes for the first time since I cant remember when
I was really getting out there as we lay in the corpse position, then I fell asleep
It felt sorta like I saw myself take off silently in one of those rescue helicopters
Why, the traffic didn’t even bother me as I drove alone all the way back home

I think I scratched the side of a hybrid floating out of my SUV in their parking lot
Shutting down my comm device, I was shedding my earthly concerns before the class
I knew I needed another measured portion of the infinite, really soon
I was still a pilgrim despite the deeply worn tracks I followed thru our rodent warrens

I dropped my thoughts of dinner and even forgot all about my office foes for just a moment
I sought to see myself on a lovely beach in a rainbow sunset framed by reflecting clouds
I was only dimly aware of a woman’s gas in front of me as we assumed the next position
I repeated the computer-generated nonsense syllable that was my unique personal mantra

I pursued this inner quest as vigorously as I had pushed to get the kids thru school
My husband said he had learned to meditate as well and he practiced on the couch at night
Visions of the eternal void maybe just came to me in short bursts, as I exhaled
I took to going barefoot in loose clothes at times, in the privacy of my own home

My cooking shaded away from meat and towards instant packaged Asian main courses
Sometimes I felt a twinge of guilt sipping on a Latte instead of bathing in the Indus
After a long internet search I found a guided Indian Enlightenment tour with a real guru
I began to see a bit of God in all the plants and insects as I sprayed and weeded my garden

Passionate conservatism began to make a lot more sense as my eyes slowly opened
I peeled off layers of consciousness with the onions, searching thru my life’s mandala
Many weekends I applied but a half coat of makeup and wore my hair quite simply
There was so much more to me than these well-tended suburbs could ever reveal

The occasional housekeeping haiku began appearing in my personal diary
I wrote down the dreams that awakened me and tried to fathom them as I blew dry
Sometimes the New Age music cable channel brought quiet, purging tears to my eyes
I spent 20 minutes in the park listening for songbirds on my way to grocery shop

Changed my ring tone to a soothing melody and tried to let up on the car horn
Began to sense the triviality in the banal and un-insightful existence of others
Adopted a Tibetan orphan overseas on the internet and walked dogs at the shelter
Took comfort in knowing that I was following the ancient path of enlightenment

No comments:

Post a Comment